The Dane County 4-H Small Animal Committee and youth leaders have organized in-person education meetings in January and March for those youth interested in Poultry, Rabbits, and Cavies (Guinea Pigs). These educational events are open to all youth and are free. Youth who are interested in showing poultry, rabbits, and cavies at the Dane County Fair are required to attend an education event related to the animal species they will show.
- See below for dates and times (to come).
- List of approved Small Animal Education Events (to come)
- 4-H Small Animal Page - More information on education requirements for the Dane County Fair and YQCA
- Education Requirement Card (to come) - Youth need to complete the card after attending an education event or meeting. The completed card must be uploaded to the online portal. Education requirements must be met by June 15, 2023 in order to show at the Dane County Fair.
- Submit YQCA certificate and education card(s) online (Portal Link to come in February)
- Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) – is required for youth who will show poultry, rabbits, or cavies at the Dane County Fair. Youth can complete this certification online anytime. There is a $12 fee for the online training. YQCA is designed as an annual education and certification program focused on food safety, animal well-being, and character awareness for youth ages 8 to 21. The program has been designed by extension specialists and national livestock program managers to ensure it is accurate, current, and relevant to the needs of the animal industry and shows and is appropriate for youth.
Additional Approved Education