All youth planning to show Beef at the Dane County Fair must meet these species specific educational requirements:
- Attend at least one approved education event (listed below)
- Education Requirement Card – Complete this card after attending a species-specific education meeting/event to confirm attendance. You should upload the completed card by June 15.
- To upload the education card, please save the document as a JPG, TIFF, or PDF. Youth can take a picture of the education card to upload.
- Complete Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) certificate between 9/1/2022-6/15/2023
- Complete all training, and submit education card and YQCA certificate by June 15 via the ONLINE PORTAL. Failure to submit this card by June 15 at 11:59pm will make you ineligible to show your animal at the Dane County Fair.
- If showing in more than one species, youth must complete and submit the requirements for each species separately.
Approved Education Offerings
Contact the Fair Office at email@example.com to receive approval for educational opportunities not listed.
- 12/27/2022 – Livestock Quizbowl Workshop – 9:00am, 4-H Office, 5201 Fen Oak Dr
- 2/11/2023 – Beef Quality Assurance In-Person Class – 2:30pm, DeForest, WI
- 2/13/2023 – Beef Live/Carcass Evaluation & Cookery Zoom – Recording Available
- 3/25/23 – 4-H Livestock Quizbowl and Skillathon
- 4/2/2023 – UW Vet Medicine - Veterinarian Event – 1:00pm, UW Vet Medicine Bldg
- 4/3/2023 – Reproductive Technologies in Agriculture Zoom – Recording Available
Project - Animal Nutrition
(Grades 3-13) at 6:00pm at Middleton
Farmer’s Cooperative Hardware Store. RSVP to
is a Dane County Fair approved education event for Beef, Sheep and Swine.
- 5/6/2023 – Lodi Vet Clinic Youth Livestock Day from 9:00-11:00am at Lodi
Veterinary Care, 705 N. Main St, Lodi - This interactive day will include
activities and presentations by Lodi Veterinary Care professionals related to
livestock anatomy, vet trucks and equipment, and small ruminant care. Youth
should plan on attending the entire time of the event. Please
RSVP by April 22, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-592-7755.
- Beef Quality Assurance (BQA) for Producers – www.bqa.org
- Independent Study “Educate the public about Beef Cattle” – must be pre-approved
- FFA Curriculum
Dane County Fair Meat Animal Sale (MAS) Information
The Dane County Meat Animal Sale is managed by the Dane County Meat Animal Sale Association. This association is an organization of interested persons whose purpose is the organization and operation of the Dane County Meat (Large) Animal Sale. This is an independent association and is not connected to the Dane County Fair Board, Dane County 4-H Leaders Association, UW-Extension Office, or any other group. For questions, contact Blayne Outhouse at (608) 669-0516.
The Meat Animal Sale will be held at the Dane County Fair on Friday, July 21 at 6:45 PM in Pavilion 2.
Beef Weigh-in & Tag Pick Up was Saturday, January 7, 2023. Contact DaneCountyMeatAnimalSale@gmail.com if you have questions.