All youth planning to show Sheep at the Dane County Fair must meet these species specific educational requirements:
- Attend at least one approved education event (listed below)
- Education Requirement Card – Complete this card after attending a species-specific education meeting/event to confirm attendance. You should upload the completed card by June 15.
- To upload the education card, please save the document as a JPG, TIFF, or PDF. Youth can take a picture of the education card to upload.
- Complete Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) certificate between 9/1/2023-6/15/2024.
- Complete all training, and submit education card and YQCA certificate by June 15 via the ONLINE PORTAL - Opens in April. Failure to submit this card by June 15 at 11:59pm will make you ineligible to show your animal at the Dane County Fair.
- If showing in more than one species, youth must complete and submit the requirements for each species separately.
2024 Approved Education Offerings TO COME SOON
2023 Approved Education Offerings
- 12/27/2022 – Livestock Quizbowl Workshop – 9:00am, 4-H Office, 5201 Fen Oak Dr
- September 9-11, 2022: Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival - Youth who participated in the Skillathon,
can use it to meet their Dane County Fair education requirement.
- 3/25/23 – 4-H Livestock Quizbowl and Skillathon
- 4/1/2023 – Arlington Sheep Days – Arlington Ag Research Center
- 4/2/2023 – UW Vet Medicine - Veterinarian Event – 1:00pm, UW Vet Medicine Bldg
- 4/3/2023 – Reproductive Technologies in Agriculture Zoom – 7:00pm, Recording Available
- 4/19/2023 – Livestock
Project - Animal Nutrition
(Grades 3-13) at 6:00pm at Middleton
Farmer’s Cooperative Hardware Store. RSVP to
is a Dane County Fair approved education event for Beef, Sheep and Swine.
- 4/20/2023 - 4-H
Sheep Nutrition and Showmanship Clinic
– from 6:00-7:30pm at the
Oregon Farm Center, 4636 WI-138, Oregon, WI. Youth will learn the basics of
sheep showmanship and nutrition. Open to all ages, youth in grades K-5 must be
accompanied by an adult. Nutrition education provided by Purina. Questions –
contact Jerry Ace (608) 628-7309
- 5/6/2023 – Lodi Vet Clinic Youth Livestock Day from 9:00-11:00am at Lodi Veterinary Care, 705 N. Main St, Lodi - This interactive day will include activities and presentations by Lodi Veterinary Care professionals related to livestock anatomy, vet trucks and equipment, and small ruminant care. Youth should plan on attending the entire time of the event. Please RSVP by April 22, 2023 to email@example.com or 608-592-7755.
- FFA Curriculum
Contact the Fair Office at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive approval for educational opportunities not listed.
Dane County Fair Sheep Check-in
Saturday, May TBD, 2024 from 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM at the Stoughton Fair Grounds, Mandt Park
All paperwork will be provided. Youth should bring their animal(s) to the check in. Contact Jerry Ace at (608) 628-7309 or email@example.com with questions.
Dane County Fair Meat Animal Sale (MAS) Information
The Dane County Meat Animal Sale is managed by the Dane County Meat Animal Sale Association. This association is an organization of interested persons whose purpose is the organization and operation of the Dane County Meat (Large) Animal Sale. This is an independent association and is not connected to the Dane County Fair Board, Dane County 4-H Leaders Association, UW-Extension Office, or any other group. For questions, contact DaneCountyMeatAnimalSale@gmail.com.
The Meat Animal Sale will be held at the Dane County Fair on Friday, July 19 at 6:45 PM in Pavilion 2.