All youth planning to show Sheep at the Dane County Fair must meet these species specific educational requirements:
- Attend at least one approved education event (listed below)
- Education Requirement Card – Complete this card after attending a species-specific education meeting/event to confirm attendance. You should upload the completed card by June 15.
- To upload the education card, please save the document as a JPG, TIFF, or PDF. Youth can take a picture of the education card to upload.
- Complete Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) certificate between 9/1/2022-6/15/2023
- Complete all training, and submit education card and YQCA certificate by June 15 via the online portal (opening in April). Failure to submit this card by June 15 at 11:59pm will make you ineligible to show your animal at the Dane County Fair.
- If showing in more than one species, youth must complete and submit the requirements for each species separately.
Approved Education Offerings
- 12/27/2022 – Livestock Quizbowl Workshop – 9:00am, 4-H Office, 5201 Fen Oak Dr
- February 2-3, 2023 – Badger Swine Symposium – Chula Vista, WI Dells
- 3/19/23 – 4-H Swine For Beginners – 12:30pm, 5201 Fen Oak Dr., Madison
- 3/25/23 – 4-H
Livestock Quizbowl and Skillathon
- 3/25/23 – WSPA Educational Pork Panel - The
Wisconsin Show Pig Association will be hosting an Educational Panel moderated
by the WSPA Youth & Adult Board during the Wisco Elite Pig Sale. This panel
will allow moderators and attendees to ask questions and allow discussion
around the pork industry, pork production, careers in agriculture, etc.
- 4/3/2023 – Reproductive Technologies in Agriculture Zoom – 7:00pm, Registration Link
- 4/8/2023 – Show Pig Clinic – 9:00am-Noon, offered by UW Extension Green County - This event will be a great opportunity to learn about pig nutrition, at-home care, and showmanship tips from experienced pig experts. Whether you are new to showing pigs or have years of experience, this clinic is sure to offer valuable insights and information to help you succeed in the ring. Best of all, attendance is completely free and lunch will be provided at no cost to all participants.
To secure your spot, be sure to register by March 31st by contacting Devan Klopfenstein at (608)558-2646 or email@example.com.
- 5/6/2023 – Lodi Vet Clinic Youth Livestock Day from 8:00am-Noon – more information
- TBD – 33 Feeds
- May TBD – 4-H Swine Showmanship and Grooming
- FFA Curriculum
Squeaky Clean Biosecurity Plan Fact Sheet – pdf
Swine Health Rules
IMPORTANT 2023 Swine Info related to the Dane County Fair (DCF) and information from the Meat Animal Sale Committee (MAS) – please read all below if you plan on participating in the Dane County Fair:
- The DCF is no longer a terminal fair. This means that participants will be responsible for transporting their swine home, to a processor, or to a market. The swine committee will not facilitate transport of the hogs for processing or sale, including Meat Animal Sale hogs. If participants intend to have hogs butchered for family use or for private sales, they should contact their processing facilities now to ensure a processing slot.
- Because the Fair is not terminal, swine shown will require a negative PRRS and PEDV test for your facility/herd. This is in addition to the veterinary health check. This test will cost approximately $80 to 90. The Swine Department will try to provide test kits, but this is not guaranteed so you may need to contact your vet if we cannot supply.
- The use of the feed additive ractopamine (Paylean) is not allowed for DCF swine. This reflects the market trend where major processors will not accept swine that have been fed this feed additive. They are responding to their buyers who make this demand.
- A breeding gilt class has been added. A pig shown as a breeding gilt cannot also be shown as a market gilt and is not eligible for the MAS.
- If you have questions, please contact Dick Straub (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Blayne Outhouse (email@example.com).
Dane County Fair Swine Check-in
Saturday, April 22, 2023 from 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM at the 4-H/UW Extension Office on Fen Oak Drive, Madison.
All paperwork will be provided. Contact Dick Straub at Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Dane County Fair Meat Animal Sale (MAS) Information
The Dane County Meat Animal Sale is managed by the Dane County Meat Animal Sale Association. This association is an organization of interested persons whose purpose is the organization and operation of the Dane County Meat (Large) Animal Sale. This is an independent association and is not connected to the Dane County Fair Board, Dane County 4-H Leaders Association, UW-Extension Office, or any other group. For questions, contact Blayne Outhouse at (608) 669-0516 or DaneCountyMeatAnimalSale@gmail.com.
The Meat Animal Sale will be held at the Dane County Fair on Friday, July 21 at 6:45 PM in Pavilion 2.
2023 MAS Scholarship applicatioN (due by june 15)